Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Abyss Beyond Dreams by Peter F. Hamilton (Release date is October 21st)

I'm not a huge Sci-Fi fan, I'm more of a fantasy and historical fiction person but I was intrigued by the synopsis and decided to give it a try. At first I was bored by the Sci-Fi techno-terminology in the beginning but I felt a good book lied just around the bend so I kept at it. I'm glad I did. It was a creepy, keep-you-up at night roller coaster.
  In the far-reaching future we will live for hundreds of years thanks to all kinds of enhancements we can receive. Our bodies can stay permanently at whatever age we choose, we can block pain when injured, etc. Unfortunately, its a little trickier keeping ourselves from being eggsumed.
 This novel is like The Walking Dead meets Invasion of the Body Snatchers meets Star Trek. The void is a place where spaceships are lost and people do not return but a planet exists within it that holds a secret. It can sustain human life AND it can take it. The people who become stranded there can build a society but they must first defend themselves from the being that wish to destroy them.
  There are strange eggs on the planet. Eggs that lure you in and then consume you only to spit you out later as a flesh-eating, human-looking, monster. The military patrols must search out and destroy each new egg that is dropped from the mysteries "trees" that produce them before the others discover and save them. Their only goal is to destroy all of the humans and reach fulfillment once again and please the Skylords. Where did these being come from and can they be completely eradicated before its too late?
 I'll be looking for more from Peter Hamilton in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment